This session will provide an overview of the use of intraosseous (IO) access as a bridging tool to obtaining venous access in urgent, emergent and medically necessary situations. Focusing on the Arrow® EZ-IO® device, attendees will be supported to develop their knowledge and confidence of using IO within their clinical setting.
By the end of the session attendees should be able to:
- Explain the concept of Vessel Health and Preservation and appropriate device selection.
- List the indications and contraindications for IO access.
- Explain the anatomical sites for IO insertion.
- Demonstrate an IO insertion on a plastic bone or manikin.
- List 3 potential complications of IO use and how
to reduce the risk of these developing.